Manuscript Preparation Guidelines
1. General guidelines
- Author details. All authors of a manuscript should include their full name and affiliation on the cover page of the manuscript. Where available, please also include ORCID identifiers and social media handles (Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn). One author will need to be identified as the corresponding author, with their email address normally displayed in the article PDF (depending on the journal) and the online article. Authors’ affiliations are the affiliations where the research was conducted. If any of the named co-authors moves affiliation during the peer-review process, the new affiliation can be given as a footnote. Please note that no changes to affiliation can be made after your paper is accepted.
- Manuscripts are accepted in English. British English spelling and punctuation are preferred. Please use single quotation marks, except where ‘a quotation is “within” a quotation’. Long quotations of 40 words or more should be indented without quotation marks.
- A typical manuscript will not exceed 5,000 words including tables, references, captions, footnotes and endnotes. Manuscripts that exceed 6,000 words this will be critically reviewed with respect to length at the discretion of the Editor in Chief. Authors should include a word count with their manuscript.
- Please supply all details required by any funding and grant-awarding bodies as an Acknowledgement on the title page of the manuscript, in a separate paragraph, as follows:
- For single agency grants: "This work was supported by the [Funding Agency] under Grant [number xxxx]."
- For multiple agency grants: "This work was supported by the [Funding Agency 1] under Grant [number xxxx]; [Funding Agency 2] under Grant [number xxxx]; and [Funding Agency 3] under Grant [number xxxx]."
- Abstracts of 100-200 words are required for all manuscripts submitted.
- Each manuscript should have 3 to 6 keywords .
- Search engine optimization (SEO) is a means of making your article more visible to anyone who might be looking for it.
- Section headings should be concise.
- All authors of a manuscript should include their full names, affiliations, postal addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses on the title page of the manuscript. One author should be identified as the corresponding author. Please give the affiliation where the research was conducted. If any of the named co-authors moves affiliation during the peer review process, the new affiliation can be given as a footnote. Please note that no changes to affiliation can be made after the manuscript is accepted. Please note that the email address of the corresponding author will normally be displayed in the article PDF (depending on the journal style) and the online article.
- All persons who have a reasonable claim to authorship must be named in the manuscript as co-authors; the corresponding author must be authorized by all co-authors to act as an agent on their behalf in all matters pertaining to publication of the manuscript, and the order of names should be agreed by all authors.
- Authors are requested to submit their manuscripts together with the following items: Scanned portrait photo of all authors in gif, tif or wmf graphics format (size of the photo: nearly 200 x 240 points (pixel)). The photo can be coloured.
- Short description of the career and the affiliation of all authors (use MS Word format). The curriculum vitae should not exceed 60 words.
- Authors must also incorporate a Disclosure Statement which will acknowledge any financial interest or benefit they have arising from the direct applications of their research.
- For all manuscripts non-discriminatory language is mandatory. Sexist or racist terms must not be used.
- Authors must adhere to SI units . Units are not italicised.
- When using a word which is or is asserted to be a proprietary term or trade mark, authors must use the symbol ® or TM.
- Description of the Journal’s reference style.
- Guide to using mathematical scripts and equations.
- Word templates are available for this journal. If you are not able to use the template via the links or if you have any other template queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please provide the highest quality figure format possible. Please be sure that all imported scanned material is scanned at the appropriate resolution: 1200 dpi for line art, 600 dpi for grayscale and 300 dpi for colour.
- All figures must be numbered in the order in which they appear in the manuscript (e.g. Figure 1, Figure 2). In multi-part figures, each part should be labelled (e.g. Figure 1(a), Figure 1(b)).
4. Publication charges
Submission and publication fees
There are no submission fees, publication fees or page charges for this journal.
Charges for color figures in print are £300 per figure ($400 US Dollars; $500 Australian Dollars; €350). For more than 4 color figures, figures 5 and above will be charged at £50 per figure ($75 US Dollars; $100 Australian Dollars; €65). Depending on your location, these charges may be subject to local taxes.
Depending on your location, these charges may be subject to Value Added Tax.
5. Reproduction of copyright material
If you wish to include any material in your manuscript in which you do not hold copyright, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner, prior to submission. Such material may be in the form of text, data, table, illustration, photograph, line drawing, audio clip, video clip, film still, and screenshot, and any supplemental material you propose to include. This applies to direct (verbatim or facsimile) reproduction as well as “derivative reproduction” (where you have created a new figure or table which derives substantially from a copyrighted source).
You must ensure appropriate acknowledgement is given to the permission granted to you for reuse by the copyright holder in each figure or table caption. You are solely responsible for any fees which the copyright holder may charge for reuse.
The reproduction of short extracts of text, excluding poetry and song lyrics, for the purposes of criticism may be possible without formal permission on the basis that the quotation is reproduced accurately and full attribution is given.
For further information and FAQs on the reproduction of copyright material, please consult our Guide.
6. Supplemental online material
Authors are encouraged to submit animations, movie files, sound files or any additional information for online publication.
Data availability statement. If there is a data set associated with the paper, please provide information about where the data supporting the results or analyses presented in the paper can be found. Where applicable, this should include the hyperlink, DOI or other persistent identifier associated with the data set(s). Templates are also available to support authors.
Data deposition. If you choose to share or make the data underlying the study open, please deposit your data in a recognized data repository prior to or at the time of submission. You will be asked to provide the DOI, pre-reserved DOI, or other persistent identifier for the data set.
All submissions should be made online at the International Journal of Fluid Power Editorial Manager website. New users should first create an account. Once logged on to the site, submissions should be made via the Author Centre. Online user guides and access to a helpdesk are available on this website.
Manuscripts prepared in LaTeX are not accepted. Please prepare your submission in Word, using equation editor to embed equations.
Click here for information regarding anonymous peer review.
The following files are required for submission to International Journal of Fluid Power:
- Main manuscript- this should be in Word format with figures, tables and author biography inserted for reviewers as your manuscript would appear in the event that it is accepted for publication.
- Figures - should also be submitted as individual high-quality source files.
- Tables - should also be submitted as individual source files.
- Author Biography - should also be submitted as individual high-quality source files.
Please note that manuscripts not submitted in this format will be returned to you.